“Anglo American Thermal Coal Athletic Club” (abbreviated AATC-AC), hereinafter called ‘The Club’. The term ‘Athletic Club’ in this document includes Road, Cross Country running and Race walking.
“Motto”-‘RUNING FOR FUN-SAFETY FIRST’.
History of the club
The team was initiated 10 years ago by a few Anglo American Coal SA employees, constituting the majority of the +- 50 runners in the first year.
Over the years the team has grown to accommodate more enthusiastic and deserving runners from various socio-economic backgrounds. To date the team has in excess of 200 active members including youth team runners.Over the years the team has been able to cater for the runners to various road races and cross country events, which includes prestigious races such as Comrades marathon, two oceans, Soweto and the GTR (Greatest Train Race).
The runners have been able to reciprocate the generosity of the sponsorship by performing over and above the necessary expectations.
- To promote Health and Well-being of communities near Anglo American Operations.
- Encourage unity and unique social environment that will attract participation from all the age groups.
- Providing a safe environment for its members to participate in athletics.
- Fostering and promoting athletics as well as enhancing physical and moral qualities within the individual that arises from participation in athletics.
- Establishing equal opportunities for the successful participation by all employees and community member within close proximity of Anglo American Coal SA mining operations; irrespective of their age, ability, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexuality or social economic status.
- To promote the teaching and practice of athletics in line with current best practice.
The business and the affairs of the club is under the management of a Committee elected for the period of two years by the general body of members and subjected to bi-annual re-election. The Committee shall be consisting of Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Coordinator, Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Club Captain and Vice-Captain.